Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008 A Year in Review

2008 had it's ups and downs. I can't say it was the best year I ever had, and not the worst, but I just didn't feel it last year. I do remember 2007 being much better than 2008, but I can't tell you why. Not that I don't want to, I just can't come up with a reason.

So here's a recap of some Highlights and Lowlights of 2008.

Lowlights:

In June, I left Yelp after a bit of turmoil. I guess I could have gone out differently, with a little bit more class, but I was angry because I felt betrayed after believing that the very people who run Yelp did things that could have included being the very trolls that confounded me and my friends who had left Yelp before me. Maybe this is a highlight because Yelp seems to have gone downhill and is not the same anymore.

A year of feeling run down, and being lazy because of that. Could be health reasons. Could be age. Probably all the calls I have to respond to after Midnight, resulting in an average of 4 hours sleep on work days. Unfortunately, most were not emergencies. After 10 years working 99.9% on a Paramedic Ambulance, in the busier sections of Los Angeles, my sleep patterns are so messed up, I can't seem to get a good night's sleep anymore. Not even when I'm at home or on vacation.

People I have worked with, or know, that were too young to die. Willie Dunn was one of the nicest persons around, and had the best attitude as a Paramedic. And it's not so much his death, but the fact that I didn't get to see him before his death. Heck, I didn't even know he was ill. The last time I saw him was when he was working at his last assignment in the Valley.

An almost complete change of the people I work with. Because of promotions and transfers, I'm one of 2 out of 10 still left on my shift. It's a whole new crew and I've got to get used to them.

I gained a few pounds, and now weigh 205. I think I'm anywhere between 10-20 pounds overweight. I have to get out of this sleepy/lazy spell and workout again.

Highlights:

I became a Landlord to some very good people. Everything is working out fine, so far. They haven't found the dead bodies I buried in the backyard.

I was able to buy some investment property. Hopefully it too will soon be rented out. If you ever see me on TV being arrested, it's because of my being a slumlord. Oh, and um, maybe the dead bodies.

I bought a new car, though if I had waited, I probably would have gotten a better deal. But, that's just the way it goes. It's fun to drive, and gets decent mileage. And I can fit 2 or 3 dead bodies in the trunk.

Even though the US is going through some tough economic times, I feel safe and I'm sure I will have a job until I retire. Will I have a retirement fund? I hope so.

Though I am sleepy/lazy, I am in good health. No need for extra Doctor visits, or taking pills for any chronic illness, or that other problem some old guys have.

Having great friends, good friends, and friends in general. One of them finally made me some cupcakes. Thanks, I know it takes a lot of patience to know me.

And lastly, and the most important, people who say they read my blog. Thanks for faking it all this time. I guess it's like having a girlfriend who fakes her orgasms all the time. It's beats laying there all quiet. Um, er, NOT that I would know......

Let's hope 2009 is better than 2008 and has more surprises in store for all of us. Good surprises.

5 comments:

Don't Be a Slut said...

I know it sounds corny, but as an Angelino, I just wanted to say thank you for all that you do. I know that being a Fireman/Paramedic is a tough, often thankless job, so on behalf of all the people you helped who couldn't or didn't say thank you, thank you. And may 2009 be a much better year!

Fire Ninja said...

Thank you, we know the public likes us, but sometimes we wonder if the Politicians know what we do.

BTW, Do I know you? You can e-mail me.

jjomomma said...

Your fascination with dead bodies is kinda creepy and exciting at the same time. I bet tomatoes would do very well in the back yard...

Fire Ninja said...

Blood tomatoes....

Marimbaroach said...

i don't read your blog, nor do I know anything about those dead bodies...