Thursday, August 7, 2008

Public Service Announcement - Earthquakes

So, now you know that I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic for the Los Angeles City Fire Dept. Many of my posts will probably have to do with something that happens to me while I'm on-duty. But not everything. I'm saving most of it for my book. Yes, one day I will right a book. Really, I think I shirley right guud enuf.

Today's topic is Earthquakes. What to do? How to prepare? No, look it up on the Internet yourself. There are many guides on what you should do, how to prepare, etc.

This is about ONE thing.

On July 29, 2008, a moderate earthquake hit Los Angeles at about 11:40 AM. There was very little damage, and no one died. Or did they? For about ONE hour after the Earthquake, the LAFD had very little emergency calls coming into their 911 system. Why? Because there was no damage? Because it wasn't that bad? NO! Because everyone and their mother was on the phone trying to call someone to see if they were okay, and/or talk about what just happened.

ALL PHONE CIRCUITS WERE TOO BUSY FOR ANYONE TO BE ABLE TO CALL 911!!!

People with emergencies, whether or not related to the earthquake, could not get through. Emergencies happen every day and every minute regardless of any other factors, such as an earthquake. You could have kept someone, in dire need, from getting help because they couldn't get through to 911. Did someone die because of this? I don't know. All I know is, after the first hour, the 911 phones rang off the hook.

Remember, stay off the phones for at least one hour after an earthquake, even longer if you really don't need to call anyone. Save it for the people who really need to make a call.

You never know who is trying to call for help. Maybe someone you know.

No comments: